LEARN ABOUT OUR COMPANY
Founded by executives from the telecom and aerospace industries, we've built an effective solution to the growing epidemic of distracted driving that "Just Works".
Get To Know Us
Katasi is a Colorado-based company founded in 2010 by former space entrepreneur Scott Tibbitts. The Katasi team has created patented techniques for network-based and vehicle-motion-triggered distracted driving solutions, bringing to life the technologies that make Groove possible.
Plug the Groove module into your car, sync your phone, and that’s it! Groove knows when you’re driving and works with your mobile phone carrier to block distractions until you are safely at your destination.
Groove works with any phone. When you start your drive, distractions and alerts are blocked and saved by your mobile phone carrier. Once you arrive at your destination, full functionality returns to the phone and stored messages are sent.
Meet the K-Team
Founder, Inventor, Storyteller
- 30 years entrepreneurial experience
- CEO / Founder of Starsys Research
- Co-Founder: eSpace Center for Space Entrepreneurship
- Official storyteller at Niwot Elementary School
- Most likely to spend free time in Australia, FINALLY learning to surf
- 30+ years of broad business experience for both large and small companies, including extensive experience as a top performing executive and consultant
Focused, Strategist, Trusted
- 15+ years in IoT and millions of devices
- Cellular carriers, embedded designs and total solutions
- “Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower” – Steve Jobs
- Most likely to pedal for hours and have nothing to remember
- 40+ years of senior executive experience including business strategy, managing high-performance teams, running businesses, sales, innovation, fund raising and advisory
Do-er of of everything that needs getting done
- 30 years entrepreneurial and business management experience
- Hard skills are abundant, soft skills are limitless
- Fierce tennis competitor
- Most likely to be up at 2 A.M. watching Roger Federer win the Australia Open live
Programmer & Coder, Chic Industrial Loft Buff
- 8 years Software Development experience
- Expert in big data systems and cloud service architectures
- Writes features, determines how to break them, then builds them better, stronger and faster
- Most likely to find beams and expose them
High-Tech Executive, Fly Fisherman
- 34 years in a number of high-tech companies with executive roles in sales, marketing, strategy, operations and engineering
- President & COO Starboard Storage Systems
- SVP – Seagate Technology
- CSO – Lefthand Networks
- VP/GM Storage Tek
- Most likely to spend six hours on a river getting a trout to think a bundle of horse hair on a hook is a mayfly
Leader, Technical Manager, Outdoorsman
- 12 years Technical Management
- Integrated Product Team Lead – Northrop Grumman
- Experienced Consensus Builder and Crisis Manager
- Most likely to try and start a campfire by rubbing two sticks together
Stopping distracted driving is a team effort. Each member of our company plays an important role.
At Katasi, we value flexible work schedules and work/life balance. We make our hours count, produce quality work during those hours, then go home and play hard. At Katasi, we don't bring our egos. We all have the same goal, after all -- to save lives through preventing distracted driving. We use our unique strengths to support each other to meet this goal.
Senior Software Developer
Katasi is seeking a senior software developer to work on several codebases which come together to form our Groove product, while coordinating the workload of a small team.
Katasi is a Colorado-based software technology company, deploying Groove, the first network-level distracted driving solution to an epidemic that is annually killing countless drivers. We are about to quickly scale, as we are closing two major contracts within the next month, one with a top US mobile carrier, and the second with a top five US trucking company. We are looking for A-list developer talent that is looking for a challenging problem set, and an opportunity to apply their expertise to create a product that saves lives.
Salary is competitive with the Denver metro market and the benefits are great, including compensation for ski passes, paid gym memberships, free bike tunes and a fun, challenging work environment.
- 7+ years of back-end software development experience in a JVM language (Kotlin a plus)
- Experience working with document-based databases, preferably MongoDB
- Experience with Spring a plus
- Experience scaling a production application, from hundreds to millions of users, including identifying common bottlenecks before they occur, and the ability to diagnose performance issues after they occur
- Requires Redis and RabbitMQ or similar and an understanding of their use cases
- Some Android development experience, multi-year experience a big plus, ideally including SDK development experience. Specific needs are:
- Experience with Kotlin
- Awareness of how processes can communicate with each other, limitations on app functionality imposed by the OS, permissions, notification handling across API levels
- Knowledge of modern libraries – Jetpack, Retrofit, Dagger or alternative DI
- Knowledge of architectural best practices – DI, MVVM/MVP or similar
- Ability and desire to work with management to coordinate the workload of a small development team (5-10% of workload)
- Ability and desire to, on occasion, dialog and coordinate with customer technical personnel
Our back end is built on Spring and MongoDB and designed around scalability. We’re poised to process large amounts of data and we make heavy use of Redis and RabbitMQ to avoid bottlenecks and ensure that we can handle sudden increases in throughput. Big data experience and an understanding of the problems that occur at scale are essential for this role. We’re looking for a software developer that can produce efficient code and plan architecture around the vague or unstable requirements that often arise in the startup world. DevOps experience is a plus, we plan on moving from Heroku to AWS and already have some data ingestion infrastructure within AWS.
Our Android app is a parallel focus right now, and candidates should have an understanding of the Android system and experience with SDK development. Knowledge of how notifications are handled from Marshmallow to Pie, running a VPN on an Android device, and the limitations surrounding app functionality with regard to permissions played a key role in building GrooveX. As Google’s restrictions on apps change with each OS release, we’ll need a software developer who can be aware of the implications for our product and who can think outside the box to keep our service competitive. Technologies being used for Android include Jitpack, coroutines, and Dagger. Much of our codebase is currently written in Java, but we’ll need to design our SDK in such a way that it can be cleanly interfaced with through Kotlin.